Do you ever feel that you know quite a lot of English, but when it’s time to speak, you keep using the same words and expressions?
You’re definitely not alone!
One of the best ways to sound more natural in English is to learn short, everyday phrases and start using them in real conversations.
Today, I’ve chosen 10 simple but extremely useful English expressions that you’ll hear again and again in everyday conversations.
Some of them may already look familiar — but here’s the real question:
How many of them do you actually use when you speak English?
Let’s find out! 😊
1. It depends.
We use “It depends” when there isn’t one simple answer because the answer changes according to the situation.
💬 Example:
A: Are you going out this weekend?
B: It depends. I have a lot of work to do.
💡 Good to know!
We often use it depends on + noun.
It depends on the weather.
2. That sounds great!
We use “That sounds great!” when we like someone’s idea, suggestion or plan.
💬Example:
A: Why don’t we have coffee after work?
B: That sounds great!
💡Good to know!
You can also say:
That sounds good!
Sounds perfect!
Sounds like a good idea!
3. I’m not sure yet.
We use “I’m not sure yet” when we haven’t made a decision or don’t know the answer at the moment.
💬Example:
A: What are you doing this weekend?
B: I’m not sure yet. I might visit some friends.
💡Good to know!
Instead of always saying:
I don’t know.
you can say:
I’m not sure yet.
It often sounds softer and more natural in conversation.
4. No worries!
We use “No worries!” to tell someone that something is okay or that there is no problem.
💬Example:
A: I’m sorry I’m late!
B: No worries! We’ve only just arrived.
💡Good to know!
“No worries!” is a friendly and informal expression.
It can mean:
No problem!
It’s okay!
Don’t worry about it!
You’ll hear it very often in everyday conversation.
5. Take your time.
We say “Take your time” when we want someone to know that they don’t need to hurry.
💬Example:
A: Sorry, I need another minute to decide.
B: Of course. Take your time.
💡Good to know!
“Take your time” is a friendly way of telling someone:
There’s no need to hurry.
You can use it in many everyday situations — at work, while shopping, with friends, or whenever someone needs a little more time.
6. I’ll let you know.
We use “I’ll let you know” when we can’t give someone an answer right now, but we will tell them later.
💬 Example:
A: Can you come to the party on Saturday?
B: I’m not sure yet. I’ll let you know.
💡 Good to know!
This is a very common expression in everyday English.
You can use it when you need more time to decide or when you are waiting for more information.
For example:
I’ll check my schedule and let you know.
I don’t know yet, but I’ll let you know tomorrow.
⭐ Notice!
We’ve combined two expressions from today’s lesson:
“I’m not sure yet. I’ll let you know.”
They work perfectly together in natural conversation.
7. It doesn’t matter.
We use “It doesn’t matter” when something is not important or when we want to tell someone that something is not a problem.
💬 Example:
A: I’m sorry, I forgot to bring your book.
B: It doesn’t matter. You can bring it tomorrow.
💡 Good to know!
“It doesn’t matter” can be used to reassure someone and show that you are not upset about something.
For example:
It doesn’t matter. Don’t worry about it.
It doesn’t matter which one you choose.
⭐ Be careful!
“It doesn’t matter” and “I don’t mind” are similar, but they are not always used in exactly the same way.
For example:
A: Would you like tea or coffee?
B: I don’t mind. Either is fine.
Here, “I don’t mind” sounds more natural because you are saying that either choice is acceptable to you.
8. That makes sense.
We use “That makes sense” when we understand what someone is saying and think that it is reasonable or logical.
💬Example:
A: I’m going to leave work a little early because I have a doctor’s appointment.
B: That makes sense.
💡Good to know!
“That makes sense” is also a great way to show someone that you are listening and following the conversation.
For example:
Oh, that makes sense now!
Yes, that makes perfect sense.
⭐ Useful opposite:
If something is confusing or doesn’t seem logical, you can say:
That doesn’t make sense.
💬Example:
A: The shop is closed, but the sign says it should be open.
B: That doesn’t make sense.
9. Sorry, I didn’t catch that.
We use “Sorry, I didn’t catch that” when we didn’t hear or understand what someone said.
💬 Example:
A: The meeting starts at quarter past eight.
B: Sorry, I didn’t catch that. What time does it start?
💡 Good to know!
Instead of simply saying:
“What?”
you can say:
Sorry, I didn’t catch that.
It sounds more polite and natural, especially when speaking to someone you don’t know well.
⭐ Other useful alternatives:
Sorry, could you say that again?
Could you repeat that, please?
Sorry, I didn’t quite hear you.
🗣️Speak naturally!
In everyday conversation, you’ll often hear:
Sorry?
This short expression is also a polite way of asking someone to repeat what they said.
10. What do you mean?
We use “What do you mean?” when we want someone to explain something more clearly or give us more information about what they have just said.
💬 Example:
A: I don’t think that’s going to work.
B: What do you mean?
A: I think we need a different plan.
💡 Good to know!
You can also say:
What exactly do you mean?
when you want the other person to explain their idea more clearly.
⭐ Be careful!
Your tone of voice is important when you use this expression.
Said in a friendly or curious way:
What do you mean? 😊
is simply asking for clarification.
But said with an angry or surprised tone:
What do you mean?!
can sound confrontational.
🗣️ Speak naturally!
Another useful way to ask for clarification is:
What do you mean by that?
Example:
A: Things are going to be different from now on.
B: What do you mean by that?
📝 Your Turn!
Now it’s time to practise!
Complete the conversations using one of the expressions from today’s lesson.
1.
A: I’m sorry I didn’t call you yesterday.
B: ____________! Don’t worry about it.
2.
A: Are you coming with us tomorrow?
B: ____________. I need to check my schedule first.
3.
A: The train leaves from platform six at 8:45.
B: Sorry, ____________. Could you repeat that?
4.
A: Why don’t we have dinner together on Friday?
B: ____________!
5.
A: Can you come to the meeting next week?
B: I’m not sure yet. ____________ tomorrow.
⭐ A Little Extra Challenge!
Choose three expressions from today’s lesson and use them in your own sentences.
And here’s one more question:
💬 Which of these 10 expressions do you think you’ll use the most?
Write your answer in the comments! 😊
Tip: Don’t worry about being perfect. The best way to remember new expressions is to start using them!
Remember, learning English isn’t about memorising hundreds of expressions at once. Small steps make a big difference.
Choose two or three phrases from today’s lesson and try to use them in a real conversation this week.
The more you use English, the more naturally it will come to you. ❤️
Keep learning, keep practising, and most importantly — keep speaking! 🇬🇧
See you in the next lesson!
TeacherA

Niciun comentariu:
Trimiteți un comentariu